Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Working away...

Today was one of those days where you just get a bunch of little things done, and you have to be satisfied with that!

My new intern Erin is doing great. Today we went over how to use the database, and she put away some circus-related artifacts that were on display at the courthouse and the St. Luke's Home awhile back. I had hoped we would get to the 2008 Deeds of Gift, but we ran out of time.

I called the people on my list who haven't responded to my initial call about having a dress in the bridal show. I got mostly answering machines. Again. One person backed out for health reasons. Another asked to be put on the list for next year. One woman called and left me a message about her great-grandmother's dress being "too plain."

Well, when I called her back (and got her machine again!) I explained that we don't mind plain dresses! In fact, most dresses c1905 WERE plain. I told her we would still want to have her dress in the show, specifically to talk about how plain wedding dresses have been in certain eras in the past. And also because those early dresses are quite rare these days. I told her to think about it, but I hope she calls me back and decides to do it. I think those dresses are a great teaching opportunity!

So, we have 34 dresses in the building. The goal is 45. I have 4 dresses coming this week. There are 4 messages I am waiting on. And 5 more that I have actually spoken with, but the dresses are not here for a variety of reasons. We are doing well. VERY well! I don't think we have ever been this far along in the process since I started doing this in 2002! We should have all of the dresses here in plenty of time for our modeling appointments at the end of February.

Oh, and I gave a tour of the 1920s exhibit today to a lovely group of ladies from The Danbury. They came last year for a tour of the I Thee Wed exhibit. One woman on the tour was born in 1920 and was the youngest of 15 children! She remembered her older sisters wearing Flapper dresses. It was neat to have her on the tour. I had to ask those who remembered the decade if I did it justice. They said I had! That is the best compliment in the world!!

One thing my job ISN'T is monotonous! Every day is different from the day before. That's one of the many reasons that I love what I do.

No comments: