It has been a fun exhibit, and I think people have enjoyed it.
This morning Steve and I are going to pack it up for its trip to Teddy Roosevelt's museum in New York. Ironic that it would go from McKinley to Roosevelt, isn't it?
I try to have at least one presidential themed exhibit every year. Here's a quick look back:
- In 2006 we hosted the Smithsonian traveling exhibit Diana Walker: Photojournalist. That was blast! We invited Diana Walker for a program and book signing of Public & Private that was packed. Many of her photos in the exhibit are included in her book. It is well worth it, if you want to pick up a copy.
- In 2007, Chris guest curated an exhibit on the 100th anniversary of the McKinley National Memorial, based on his book The McKinley Monument: A Tribute to a Fallen Hero. We had a community-wide art contest and got some fabulous entries from children and adults!
- Next year, in 2009, we are hosting the Smithsonian traveling exhibit The Working White House. The exhibit explores the people who have kept the President's home running over the past two centuries.
- In 2010, we will be hosting another Smithsonian traveling exhibit called The White House Garden. We will host that exhibit in the winter, to give visitors a pick-me-up during the cold Ohio winter!
- In 2011, we will host White House Christmas from the White House Historical Association. This is an exhibit of paintings depicting Christmas decorations at the White House.
- In 2012, White House Horses will be on view, also from the White House Historical Association. Horses were a vital part of the White House in years past. This exhibit explores the roles horses have played in White House history.
- In 2013, we will open White House Impressions, another White House Historical Association exhibit. This exhibit is full of exquisite paintings, showing the White House, past and present, through an artist's eye.
Next will be A Doll's World, featuring our extensive doll collection. That opens on October 24.
Hope to see you soon!