Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fill-in food writer

As many of you know, one of the food writers at the Rep recently left for a year to teach English in Korea. So a few weeks ago, Jennifer Mastroianni made a plea for people to apply to be a fill-in food writer to help her out. That is right up my alley, being a writer AND a foodie. So I sent her an email.

Yesterday I got an assignment!

I will be writing about ways to save money at the grocery store, which I happen to be very good at. The other day I heard a statistic that the average family spends 10% of their income on food. We don't even spend half that.

And how do I know that? Because I have been recording my grocery store receipts for five years! (Faithfully, every single time. I have a chart posted on the fridge. No, I am not kidding.)

I am really excited about this opportunity! I'll let you know when the article will appear.

In the meantime, it's back to sewing tags onto new textile donations (we can't write on the fabric, so we sew tags into all the clothing in the collection). This week I am working on a collection of men's clothing, from the late 20th century. We have very little men's clothing -- mostly military uniforms and tuxedos. I'm sewing tags on everyday clothes, like polo shirts, short sleeve dress shirts, and shorts.

Gotta go fire up the needle!

No comments: