Monday, March 3, 2008

Goin' to California!!!!

A few months ago, a member of the Cemetery & Mortuary Association of California contacted me to give my program "Unlocking the Secrets of the Cemetery" at their annual spring conference in Palm Springs!

I was shocked to say the least! I do lots of outreach programs every month, but I rarely leave Stark County to do it! I couldn't believe that someone so far away had not only found my program on the museum's website, but also wanted me to go all the way across the country to give it for their group.

Granted, I am not fond of flying, but I could hardly say no to such an exciting opportunity. So I will be heading west for the conference in April!

I am planning to start tweaking my program a little this week. I have new photos to add from our trip to Kentucky last summer, and I would like to add some information about the McKinley National Memorial and its symbolism as well (which I will borrow from Chris!). I don't really like the background I chose for that program either, so I will be searching out something new.

I was in California once before when I was in college. My senior year I did an internship at Wells Fargo Historical Services in San Francisco. It was my very first plane ride and I flew alone from Syracuse, NY to San Francisco, changing planes at O'Hare. Very scary for a 21 year old! I had a wonderful time and have always wanted to see other parts of California.

So now I get my chance to go back!

No comments: