Friday, February 22, 2008

The week in review

I'm working on so many things simultaneously, it's hard to keep track of everything! So I will just make a list of highlights this week:

  • I am *almost* finished with the updated aviation program. I wanted to expand some of it and add new things I learned while writing Canton's Pioneers in Flight. I will be speaking about aviation at our next Soup at Six event on Thursday February 28.
  • I went on CTC (Community Television Consortium) last night to talk about the bridal show. Five minutes go by in the blink of an eye! We have so many interesting stories to highlight this year. I'll be posting some of them soon. Chris also taped the show before mine, and he highlighted the 1920s programs that are yet to come.
  • Speaking of 1920s programs, Steve began making beer this week for his Soup at Six program next month on "Homebrewing." It was a lot of fun to watch! It is currently bubbling and fermenting in a dark corner of the museum. I'm looking forward to his program -- and to tasting some of his beer!
  • On Tuesday I met with Gary Brown to talk about a Charles Lindbergh artifact that we have here at the museum. The story will in Monday's paper, so I won't spoil it now. I'll post a link Monday.
  • Susie Thomas called me this afternoon to come co-host her radio show on 95.9 next Friday morning. Of course I jumped at the chance! I really enjoy doing radio shows. So if you're local, tune in next Friday at 8:00 AM!
  • We have the program all in place for the "Roaring Twenties Review" on Saturday March 15. I'm waiting for feedback from the rest of the Marketing Committee before I post it. That will be forthcoming next week also.
  • My intern Erin continues to do a fantastic job. She has been helping catalog artifacts for the past couple of weeks. Next week she will start thinking about exhibit ideas for the first floor lobby. I've had piggy banks up for the duration of the penny campaign, and it is time for something else to go in there.
  • Yesterday I gave my "Meyers Lake Revisited" program at St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Massillon. They were a great group of seniors, and I think they enjoyed my talk! I was running a little late and when I got there I couldn't park anywhere near the church. I rushed in the door of the Parish Hall and followed the scent of lunch downstairs -- to an empty room! I panicked, thinking I had gotten my facts screwed up and was either at the wrong church or at the right church on the wrong date. I saw some ladies in the kitchen, who told me that everyone was in a church service before the program! I was much relieved.
So that's my week in a nutshell.

Looking ahead to next week, I will have lots of modeling appointments for the bridal show. It is always a little nerve-wracking as we search for dresses to fit the young ladies who have volunteered their time to be in the show. Obviously, you can't alter the dresses at all to fit the people. You have to find the right people to wear the dresses! I will probably begin writing the script the week after next.

I also would like to welcome our new librarian, Karl Ash! He started this morning and is feeling as overwhelmed as all of us have on our first day at this busy museum. I promised him that he would get the feel of the place quickly, and offered to do all I can to help him figure out anything he needs help with. Welcome aboard, Karl!

No comments: