Thursday, February 28, 2008

Organizing photos

OK, I have FINALLY had it!

My photos are so disorganized!

Years ago when I started scanning photos from the archives, I would file them according to what project they were for. Some went into my book folder. Some were scanned on a certain date. Some were scanned for an exhibit.

And NOW, all of my photos are in cryptic folders and I can't even find them!

So, this afternoon, I am going to RE-ORGANIZE all of my photos so that they make sense when I need to find one.

The reason I was looking through them is because I had to convert my "Canton During Wartime" program into PowerPoint from an old-fashioned slide show. I have mentioned before that I used to use an old Kodak projector, until the thing was so out of focus I know my audience was wondering if they needed to pay a visit to the eye doctor by the time I was through!

I make all of my new programs in PowerPoint now, and I convert the old ones as they are booked. Most have been converted, but every now and then someone requests a program that is an "oldie but a goodie" and I have to convert it.

Since the last time I did "Canton During Wartime," I had scanned some interesting photos of Diebold's armored scout cars. So I was able to add them. I had also scanned a drawing of McKinley in his war room during the Spanish-American War for the new McKinley Gallery exhibit. So the program is much improved.

Now, I must go figure out a system that will make sense. Organizing the photos by topic will certainly make them easier to find! For example, I can make one folder of businesses, and then make sub-folders for Hoover, Timken, Diebold, etc.

Next time I need to find a photo, it will be MUCH easier!!

UPDATE:
I AM DONE!!! And it isn't even 3:00 yet! That wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I organized my folders into broad categories: Aviation, Buildings, Businesses, Celebrations & Events, Cemeteries, Churches, Civil War, Entertainment, Homes, Hospitals, Maps, McKinley, Mellett, Meyers Lake, Monument, Museum, People, Schools, Social Clubs & Activities, Sports, Stores, Street Scenes, World War I, and World War II.

I should have done this a long time ago...!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim, have you looked at Google's Picasa? It's free and very slick.

Kim Kenney said...

Greg,

No I haven't -- sounds like maybe I should look into it!

Kim