Friday, February 8, 2008

Archival supplies

OK, today I am going crazy trying to find the best deals for the archival supplies we desperately need!

It is very confusing because you have to comparison shop in all the catalogs, because there just isn't one source where you can get the best deal. AND the products are not all exactly the same. Box sizes are different, products are called something different, etc. It isn't exactly comparing apples to oranges -- more like oranges to tangerines.

There are basically only five companies that sell archival products:
  • Gaylord
  • Light Impressions
  • Metal Edge
  • University Products
  • Hollinger Corporation
Right now, I have all five catalogs on my desk, with sticky notes coming out of them all over the place!

You might wonder how we fund these kinds of purchases, because archival supplies are expensive.

With every donation, I send an "Adopt-an-Artifact" form with the Deed of Gift (the legal document that transfers ownership from the donor to the museum). I understand that donors are giving us their valuable artifacts free of charge, rather than selling them to an antique dealer or at auction. But I also believe that our donors are the most likely group to care about properly storing their priceless treasures. And since the museum's collection is constantly growing, it takes more and more resources to maintain it.

Donations can be made in any amount, and every penny goes toward purchasing all kinds of archival supplies, including acid free tissue and boxes, B-72 acryloid lacquer (used to number the artifacts), and even shelving.

Donor's can choose a specific type of artifact, or they can let us choose. The donation can also be made in the memory of a loved one.

Here is the form that I send out, which explains the costs of properly preserving and maintaining the museum's collection (click on the image to enlarge):



In the past we have also identified a specific storage project and listed it in our Capital & Replacement brochure. Most recently, we priced the cost of re-housing our hat collection in acid-free materials, and a donor sponsored the entire project.

I usually save the Adopt-an-Artifact money for several months and place a big order all at once. We save on shipping that way.

But it has been a LONG TIME since I ordered anything, and we are pretty much out of everything! I am planning to order polyethylene bags, boxes in many different sizes, white cotton gloves, magnetic dusting cloths, and more B-72.

I guess I better get back to poring over these catalogs! This stuff isn't going to order itself...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you might like to know about Archivart. I love their costume boxes. They are much easier to open than the ones from metal edge and archivart that so many people use.

From a fellow museum curator.

Kim Kenney said...

Thanks for letting me know about them! I'll have to check them out.

Kim