Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Filming at Timken High School

This morning I was on Lois DiGiacomo's cable show "State of the Arts" which is filmed by the broadcast media students at Timken High School. Fortunately for me, she had a few cancellations, so I was able to have a 13 minute segment!

Lois came over yesterday and filmed the 1920s exhibit, so during the taping I was able to talk about the artifacts she filmed. It was the first time I had been able to do that. It was nice to be able to show the viewers what they are going to see if they come visit the exhibit.

We also had time to talk about all the 1920s programming coming up, my new book, and why Chris and I moved to Canton.

I was impressed with the kids who work on this show. They are all trained in working all aspects of the show. They are behind the camera, in the studio, and even on camera sometimes. They are very serious about what they do, and at least one student who was there today said that he is planning to go to college as a business major and film minor so he can start his own film company.

Timken has been slammed in the national media for their high pregnancy rates, etc. But little has been said about the great career tech programs they have to offer. There are 20 to choose from!! From what I've heard, they have a wonderful culinary arts program, complete with a little dining room that is open to the public for lunch. I hope to try it soon.

You can learn more about the broadcast media program by clicking here:

http://timken.ccsdistrict.org/?q=broadcastmedia

The show I taped airs on Wednesday nights on Channel 11 in Canton. It will be on in January. We have Massillon Cable, so I don't think we can see it. If you happen to catch it, let me know how I did!

No comments: