Friday, January 31, 2014

Saying goodbye to A Secret Gift

I just took a "farewell tour" of A Secret Gift in the Keller Gallery.  I have become rather attached to this story and the exhibit, so it is very difficult for me to think about taking this one down.

It has been a wonderful run!  Our partnership with One Book, One Community and the Canton Symphony Orchestra boosted attendance at all of our events.  We were able to bring so many elements of this story to life -- from the dramatization to the exhibition to the concert and everything in between.

I received word last week that our panel discussion for the 2014 Ohio Museums Association conference was accepted!  The Museum, the Symphony and One Book, One Community are all sending representatives to talk about how our collaboration created such a fantastic community celebration of this story.

I've been in this business for 15 years now, 13 as your curator here at the McKinley Presidential Library & Museum.  Only a handful of exhibitions have affected me like this one has.  I am truly sad to take it down, even as excited as I am to see what Black Wings looks like outside of its crates. 

I hope you had a chance to see A Secret Gift.  If not, you still have two more days.  It closes at 4:00 PM on Sunday February 2.  We are planning to add a section about Sam Stone and the B. Virdot letters to Gallery B of the permanent exhibition The Stark County Story.  Look for that later this year.

Thank you to everyone who came to visit the exhibition.  Your kind words in our Guest Book touched my heart, and I was humbled and proud to have played a small part in remembering Sam Stone. 

Sam Stone

No comments: