Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Year!

In the blink of an eye....it's 2014!  Where did 2013 go? 

Life moves fast, especially here at the Museum.  We no sooner get done with one program/event/exhibition and it's time to start working on the next one!

In my department, January means two things:  McKINLEY DAY and BRIDAL SHOW.  This year it also means Black Wings.  Here's an update on these projects:

  • McKinley Day.  All invitations have been sent out and I'm waiting for confirmation about who will be attending.  I have heard from the Army and am thrilled to announce that for the first time (at least in the 13 years I've been doing this event) we have a female general coming this year! Major General Karen E. LeDoux, Commanding General of the 88th Regional Support Command, will be laying a wreath on behalf of President Obama.  McKinley Day is January 25.
  • Bridal Show.  Before I left for the holidays, I compiled a list of the people who have expressed interest in having their gowns in the show.  As it always does, the years fanned out naturally, so we will have a dress from almost every decade of the 20th century.  (Right now we are missing the 1910s).  I will be making phone calls next week to set up appointments for people to come in with their dresses and talk to me about their weddings.  The Bridal Show is April 5.  I'll be working on that a lot in the coming months, so expect plenty of updates!
  • Black Wings.  Next up in the Keller Gallery will be the Smithonian traveling exhibition Black Wings:  American Dreams of Flight.  It features the stories of African American pioneers in aviation.  I'm very much looking forward to this exhibit!  We have a very short installation time, so it will be a bit hectic between when A Secret Gift closes on February 2 and Black Wings opens on February 7!
I want to take this time to wish you all a very healthy and happy New Year.  2013 was a fantastic year for the Museum, and 2014 is going to be wonderful too!  Stay tuned for all the programs and events we have planned for you in the coming year.

No comments: