Thursday, January 29, 2009

Clewell Pottery


A small Clewell vase from our collection.

I mentioned earlier this week that I am working on a program for the Questers about Clewell pottery. I also wrote two Suite 101 articles about the pottery:

Clewell Pottery: Ceramics with Rare Patina on Bronze


Clewell Pottery Maker's Marks: Identifying Rare Bronze Patina

I am currently trying to track down any other museums that have a piece of Clewell pottery in their collections. Hopefully this blog will reach the right people and you will contact me to let me know what you have!

I have posted an inquiry on the Museum-L, and I already know about the large collection at the Besser Museum for Northeast Michigan. They have about 100 pieces, which represents the largest collection of Clewell pottery in the world. They have an exhibition of his work currently on display through April 11.

If you work at a museum that has a piece of Clewell, or if you've recently visited one that had a piece on display, please let me know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am also a collector of Clewell and Monticello pattern of Roseville. I have approximately 10 pieces in "mint" condition and love them.

Grant Strawcutter
grantms@bellsouth.net

Anonymous said...

Call Kent State University Museum. They have a Clewell vase very similar to: http://www.artnet.com/Artists/LotDetailPage.aspx?lot_id=268C0362246F559A5212FB933449D2EC
and three Clewell mugs with faux riveting (2 with metalic glaze/finish and 1 without any exterior treatment).

tom said...

I'm hoping to find a knowledgeable clewell collector who could advise me on a rare 19" 430-2-6 vase i've had for many years.Signed and numbered this old guy has been a pedastal for a birdbath .There is some pitting to the outer layer of metal,seems there are many layers since there is more metal behind the pitted area.With such a wonderful patina,i need to know if i should clean it or have it looked at by a professional.I would be happy email photos for advise here.My name is Tom and can be reached at trr701@gmail.com or 586-945-8805 (Michigan)if you would like to call....Thank you for any comments or advise