Friday, July 18, 2008

Hottest cemetery walk. EVER.

OK. I gave the longest cemetery walk I have, on what could arguably be the hottest day of the year.

The tour is still only 10 graves, like the others, but it feels longer because it is on the far side of the cemetery. So you have to get all the way over there before we even start (as I mentioned yesterday).

I lost a few along the way, because of the heat. (I'm kinda loopy after being out in the heat, so I think that is pretty funny! Chris and Hallie somehow didn't think it was as funny as I did...) I understand that some people couldn't walk all that way in this weather. It is tough if the weather isn't beastly hot. There are lots of hills, and some of the graves are really far apart.

Most of the walk itself is in the shade, but all the way there and all the way back is in full sun.

So, let's see. I have led cemetery walks in rain, sleet, and full on sun. Why can't it just be a plain old "nice day" for any of these tours?????

Despite the heat, I did have a good time. And I didn't get lost. There is a lot of pressure on you when you are wandering around the cemetery with 50 people following you!

As I'm sure you know, the next and final 2008 tour is full. But there are lots of other programs to sign up for:
  • Tea with the Curator: "Funerals of the Rich & Famous"
  • Soup at Six: "Presidential Funerals"
  • Soup at Six: "Armchair Walking Tour of West Lawn Cemetery"
Visit our website for more details! Pre-paid reservations are required for all of the above programs, so sign up today!

No comments: