Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I did it!

I just verified my word count and became a 2008 NaNoWriMo WINNER!!!

I now have a complete draft of my very first novel. I love the way things came together in the end. Even things that I couldn't figure out seemed to work themselves out as I wrote. It was almost as if I took a backseat and just let the Muses type as they may. And I was astounded at how loose ends were tied up.

Now, that's NOT to say that the first draft is perfect. Far from it, really. The editing process will now begin. And that is no picnic.

But the important thing is I set my mind on a goal, and I achieved it. I HAVE A COMPLETE FIRST DRAFT! Woo hoo!

This novel has been in my head for a couple of years, and I am so glad to finally bring the entire thing into the world. My final word count was 52906, plus 16000 or so words I wrote before NaNo began. Bringing the grand total of the entire draft to 69047.

Unfortunately, I don't have a title yet. Which is a bit of a problem. I am waiting to hear what my sister, friend, and husband think it should be called when they finish reading the draft! Titles have never been my forte.

Here is the brief synopsis of the novel:

When her museum career is derailed by a scheming intern, Melinda Sinclair finds herself at a crossroads. Weary from battling her evil in-laws and mourning her lost relationship with her father, Mindy craves a quieter, simpler life. She revisits a childhood dream of opening a bed & breakfast, but it is hopelessly out of her reach. Or is it?

Thank you to everyone who has supported me through this crazy endeavor this month! (You know who you are!!)

And with any luck, I'll be sending out query letters in the not-too-distant future!

1 comment:

lynette said...

Congrats, that is an incredible achievement!!!!!!!!