Thursday, November 29, 2007

New and improved aviation program


A balloon inflates in downtown Canton, 1907.

Today I am working on revising an outreach program on aviation. My new book, Canton's Pioneers in Flight, is coming out in January 2008, and I wanted to update my aviation program to reflect some of the information I uncovered while researching the new book. The program will include the following topics:


  • Frank S. Lahm and the Aero Club of Ohio
  • Frank P. Lahm and the Wright Brothers
  • Walter Wellman and the airship America (NEW!)
  • The Martin Glider (EXPANDED!)
  • Bernetta Miller, the 5th woman in the country to earn her pilot's license (EXPANDED!)
  • Canton's early airfields (NEW!)
  • Timken's contributions to flight (NEW!)
  • The Akron-Canton Regional Airport

The old program was part of my Canton: A Journey Through Time Lecture Series, based on my first book. It was presented on an old Kodak slide projector. I had to have each image converted into a 35 mm slide, and then I had to load and unload the slide carousel every time I did a different program.

When the Kodak projector finally stopped showing my images in focus, Director of Education Chris Kenney convinced me to convert my programs into PowerPoint!

What a wonderful change!

I converted each outreach program I do as people booked them, and all new programs are made using PowerPoint. I have added fancy backgrounds, captions, two slides on one page (unheard of with just ONE projector!), and even sound and video clips (only in Meyers Lake Revisited).

I am going to be doing the new and improved aviation program, which is being renamed "Canton's Pioneers in Flight," with a book signing, for our new Soup at Six series on February 28, 2008. The program is $10 per person and includes a signature soup, fresh bread baked over the open hearth, and a program.

Our two new series of programs Soup at Six and Tea with the Curator will feature programs inspired by the new Keller Gallery exhibit "Footloose & Fancy Free: Canton in the Roaring Twenties." Soups are on Thursday evenings, and Teas are on Monday mornings. We have a full line-up of interesting programs, presented by many different staff members.

Reservations are being taken now for all of the Teas and Soups from January to April. Call 330-455-7043 to sign up!

You can also book "Canton's Pioneers in Flight" for your group. The cost for the program is $25. Call me at 330-455-7043 to make a reservation. Visit the museum's website for a complete list of programs in our Speaker's Bureau.

http://www.mckinleymuseum.org/speakers_bureau

The new book will be available in the Museum Shoppe in January. Here is a sneak peek of the cover!

No comments: