Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Teaching museum studies

As some of you may already know, I am an adjunct professor at the University of Mount Union, where I teach a course about Museum Studies.

I've been doing this museum gig for awhile now, and I'm not the idealistic student I once was!  It's always refreshing to get back to the basics of my profession and have meaningful conversations about how and why museums do things.

What is historical memory?  Who makes the decisions about what will be included and what will be left out?  Why?  What makes a good exhibit?  What about a bad one?  How should you hold an artifact?  What do you do if there is a flood at your museum? How do museums actively engage the community?  What more could we do?  What works?  What doesn't work?  Why?

These are just a few of the topics I plan to cover this semester.  I really love teaching and am looking forward to the conversations we're going to have this fall!  It makes me fall in love with what I do all over again.

No comments: