Monday, April 26, 2010

Busy tour season is HERE!

This marks the first day of the busiest time of the year for us -- spring school tour season!!

I've lost count of how many kids we'll see in the next 5-6 weeks. I think it is more than 5000.

Today one of our docents was sick, so Chris had to do the three tours she had signed up for. Which meant the role of "Chris" was played by "Kim" today! (We also call this role "Traffic Cop"!!)

During the busiest school field trip season, I often don my portable mic and head out to the lobby to help get the kids where they need to go. We can have hundreds of students from 3-4 schools in the building at once, and when they switch from tour to tour, it is organized chaos.

If Chris has to give a tour, someone has to step in to make sure the switch goes smoothly, so the kids have the longest possible time doing their programs.

Teachers can choose any of the following tours for one low price of just $5 per student:
  • American Heritage Tour (history galleries)
  • Discover World
  • Planetarium
  • Ohio & You (history programs)
  • Science Expeditions (science programs)
  • McKinley National Memorial
  • Museum Shoppe

Click here for more information about our education programs.

I don't mind helping out. It's fun to see how excited the kids are when they come into our building. Their eyes light up when they see the pendulum or Alice the Allosaurous in DW. (I'm sure their eyes light up when they get upstairs to the history galleries too, but I don't get to see that from the command center -- aka: the lobby!)

Anyway, if I'm not in my office in the morning between now and June, chances are I'm out playing traffic cop.

And if you'd like to become a volunteer, now is an excellent time to learn!

Call Volunteer Coordinator Stephanie Span at 330-455-7043 and tell her you want to be a docent!

Believe me, we can use all the help we can get!!!

No comments: