Friday, October 23, 2009

What's been going on

It's been a while since I posted anything, so I thought I'd let you all know what I've been up to.

Once an exhibit is finished, I have some time to work on the collection. I have a small team of dedicated volunteers and an intern that help behind the scenes all the time. I am thankful for all their hard work! We need to get through our cataloging backlog so the Accessions Office isn't quite so full and cluttered with new donations.

So this week I have been catching up.

We had a 14 year old "intern" from Portage Montesori shadowing us this week, so I used him to help record some of the artifacts used in the 1950s kitchen in The Stark County Story. I have to change the database location for everything we put in the new exhibit. I had a list for most of it, but I just put what "looked good" in the kitchen! Now everything is recorded and must be changed in the database.

We have been plugging away at the textile donations as well. My intern Sarah and I finally undressed the mannequins from this summer and put away all the dresses and jewelry they were wearing.

This morning we are going to pick up a bequest of a Zoar corner cupboard and various china and glassware, including a butter pat collection. I am bringing boxes and bubble wrap with me, but I have no idea if it will be enough! Let's hope so.

I've had a compatibility issue with Print Shop and my new computer that has been causing it to freeze. Very annoying. I ordered the newest version in hopes that it will fix whatever the problem is. Chris and I tried so many different combinations of scenarios to try to figure it out! We thought it was a corrupt file folder, but that turned out to be wrong.

I discovered yesterday that my new Outlook account has French as the only option in spell check! Interesting. Guess what Microsoft's solution is?? UPGRADE TO VISTA. That ain't gonna happen, so I will live with it.

I am also working on my program for the next Tea with the Curator on the history of dollhouses and miniatures. Talk about fun research! :-) There are still some spots left in that Tea, so call now and sign up! It is Monday November 16 at 10:00 AM.

I did a newsboy ad for the Repository to promote our holiday events and I sent the Christmas card to print.

So I've been busy behind the scenes this week!!

No comments: