Thursday, March 5, 2009

Numbering continues...

This isn't a very exciting week to write about (or to read about!).

But I am really thrilled about getting so much cataloging done! It has been on the back burner for so long, since I was busy with other projects. So far, we have cataloged and put away two dollhouses, a phonograph made in Canton, a bassinet, a doctor's scale, 43 ladies hats (that took awhile!), and lots of other small donations too.

Also, since we're talking about artifacts, I saw the plans for our new storage facility this morning!

IT IS SO EXCITING!

I've already started planning what we'll move into the new space. Textiles will be the first to move in. Currently, textiles are stored in 5 different locations. This will bring them all together into one space!

The storage room that has the flat boxed textiles also contains our glass & china collections. Which means that we can spread out the glass & china onto the vacated shelving, without risking a big move of something so fragile!

Most of our glassware is on open shelving, but about 1/3 of it is boxed up in regular boxes (not acid free). Unpacking the wrapped up glassware is difficult, so I am glad we will have extra shelving to unbox all of it. I am nervous every time I open one of those boxes, because I have to handle almost everything in it just to find the piece I want. Having them on shelves will make it so much easier.

And I found the "global update" button in our database, which means following up the move in our computer will be simple!

There is much more advanced planning that I need to do before we finish this building. But that's OK, because I have plenty of time to figure it all out!

No comments: