Friday, October 3, 2008

Soup at Six recap


I made a map of all of the graves I talked about, so people could go over and visit them in person, if they chose to. (Click on the image to make it larger)



Beautiful table set-up! (THANKS CHRIS!!)

Everything went great last night! The soup was delicious, as usual. The crowd was a lot of fun, asked great questions, and we even sold some books!

Here are some highlights:


Before I started, I explained the map I made for everyone to take home.



Guests listening to the program.



More guests, from left to right: Board member Dee Thomas, Mr. and Mrs. Cordray, Barbara Jackson, and Steve Secrest, our Facilities Manager.



Here I talk about Dr. Lorenzo Whiting, and how there WERE slaves in the North and even in Stark County!



Here I am talking about Cornelius Aultman and the founding of Aultman Hospital.


Special thanks to Chris for setting up the entire room in Stephanie's absence; Joyce, Cindy, and Mel for all their help; and volunteers Pat, Al, Barb, Steve, and Joan -- what a great team! They knew exactly what to do. Thank you everyone for another great job!

We have LOTS of ideas for Soup at Six programs for 2009. As soon as we nail down some dates, I will post them here. This series has been more popular than we ever could have imagined, so thank you to the community for embracing our idea!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim - Really enjoyed the talk on WestLawn. Now I'm really curious about it and we plan on taking a closer look at some of those markers! I've been in the cemetery before, but only in the section just north of 7th St., putting flags on graves of veterans with our sons' Scout Troop. I've always been curious about the cemetery, now I'm motivated to go take a look. Thanks!
Judith & Jim Cordray